The Russian circus like you’ve never seen it before!
- By and with: Ferdinando D’Andria e Maila Sparapani
- Artistic collaboration: Carlo Boso
- Sound and light design: Federico Cibin
- Set design: Ferdinando D’Andria
- Direction: Luca Domenicali
- Photos: Elisa Cerè, Aris Gambino, Andrea Macchia, Simone Mondino, Luca Bolognese
- Duration: 60 minutes
- Recommended to: tout public (all of ages)
- Circus techniques: juggling, unicycle, trapeze, aerial silk
- Musical instruments used: voice, accordion, violin, trumpet, balalaika, double bass, tambourin and other several percussions instuments
- Production: Compagnia Nando e Maila ETS
- With the support of: Ministero della Cultura e la Regione Emilia Romagna
A show that explores, with the help of a musical clown, the story of a well-matched couple of artists with something Fellinian to them: he’s a ramshackle producer/presenter/right-hand-man, she’s a no less bungling prima donna who came/ran away/was chased away from (who really knows) the great circus tradition of Soviet Russia.
Nando and Maila bring to the stage a playful and tender energy that leads to disagreements, jokes, teasing, and which gets little by little enriched with poetry. Their duets feature musical contortions, like when, embraced, they dance a tango all while playing accordion and violin.
In KALINKA, live music is mixed with gags, catchphrases, aerial acrobatics and juggling. A journey into the characters of the traditional circus, staged with contemporary circus language.
Read the Technical Reider
- The show is representable indoor (theatre, auditorium, etc.) or open air (square, courtyard).
- The company has a self-supporting structure that requires a stage or a flat performing area of 8 x 8 meters and a 5,10 meters minimum height over the stage. In case of different dimension or not perfectly flat show area (grass, stones etc.) please contact the company. In case the show will be represented on a stage we need an access by a frontal staircase (possibly in the middle). In case of representation open air by night we recommend to turn off the public illumination over the stage area.
- In the case of open air show especially without stage, if it’s possible, the company requires some barriers to delimit the show area.
- We recommend (if it’s possible) to put chairs and/or carpets to accomodate the audience to watch the show.
- For the best result of the show, we recommend too (if it’s possible) to don’t place the show in a notoriously very windy zone and on a very hot sunny performing time.
- Above all the company reserves the right to assess on site whether the safety and weather conditions are suitable for the performance of the show.
The company has own light and sound equipment that requires two power plug 220V/16A CEE on two different phases or 380V/16-32A CEE (power charge 4 Kw). The company needs an access near the stage area for a camping-car (length 6,90 m. / width 2,30 m. / height 3,10 m.).
The company use a fog machine, therefore in case of indoor show the host needs to turn off the fireproof alarm during the show.
The company will begin assembling about 6 hours before the show time, included the time for the sound check. The dismantling time is approximately 2 hours. Please note that we need to do the sound check (maximum duration estimated 1 hour) so pay attention by planning other shows in the same area.